Thursday, December 17, 2009

June 18 - 29, 1964

June 18 - Thursday


MTG (Manila Theater Guild) tonight. Lita came with me. Joey took the trouble of bringing me home from Mass. Can’t say enough nice things about him.



June 19 - Friday Rizal’s Birthday - Holiday

Saw Joey with Margie Ansaldo. Went shopping with Monica, Lita and Mercy.



June 20 - Saturday

Went to see “Christine” with Mom.



June 21 - Sunday

Selling tickets for “Gigi” at ANC (for MTG). Mass with Mercy. Saw Honey and George. Date this evening with Helmut and Klaus for dinner.



June 22 - Monday

Lunch with Maribel after Mass. Joey and Jose Mari dropped us at Za’s. Finished MTG rehearsal (Gigi) at 8 pm. Received letter from Cosme.



June 23 - Tuesday

Saw Joey at Mass but left before he did. Did not go for MTG rehearsal. Stayed at Mercy’s house with Maribel.



June 24 - Wednesday

Mass with Mercy at noon. Monica and Yan at home later. Dropped Mercy at her house and MTG this evening.



June 25 - Thursday

Joey brought Maribel and I to her house and we had lunch there. Later we went to Pedrito’s, Inaki’s office, Lufthansa, Za’s and last to MTG.



June 26 - Friday - Joey Escaler’s birthday

Did not see him today.



June 27 - Saturday

George plays his debut game at Jai-Alai tonight. Rehearsals for ‘Gigi”. Helmut stayed for the whole thing!



June 28 - Sunday - Maribel Bona’s birthday

(How sad that these two nice people - Joey and Maribel - whose birthdays are 2 days apart have both died in the prime of their lives. This is so sad.) Dinner at Maribel’s house. Joey was there. Dita Veloso brought me home.



June 29 - Monday

Opening night for “Gigi.” Ate lunch at Selecta with Joey, Jose Mari and Maribel. This evening Typhoon Dading (one of the worst typhoons I’ve ever experienced) passed through Manila. Trees were falling over the place, streets flooded, the lights went out. Helmut and I watched it all from the Men’s Bar (ANC) and it was all horribly fascinating. The play went on to the end by candlelight!! No phones, no electricity till now. (This night and the typhoon and watching mango trees fly by the lawn at the ANC is a clear, clear memory and one I won’t forget. I remember hearing the galvanized roofing of the ANC (a couple of stories above us) and thinking it must be ripping. I remember the play going on only with candles and I also remember that I finally found someone to take me home - I think it was in Lita’s car, but am not 100% sure. A night to remember (and we were used to typhoons) surely. In today’s measuring - a category 5 hurricane at least!)